Friday, August 12, 2011

Our Little Miracle

Our precious little Carson is 11 days old today.  He has lead us on an adventure from the start and continues to do so. 


Sunday evening (July 31st) my contractions continued to get stronger and at a pretty regular pace.  We decided that we should probably get some bags packed and line up childcare for Kaylee just in case.  We arrived at the hospital around 1:30 am, Monday morning (August 1st) and got to a room close to 2am.  The nurses checked me and I was dilated to almost 6cm!!  Total shock to all of us.  Needless to say my fetal fibronectin test taken on Friday (that was negative by the way) was wrong.  They called the doctor to come in for an emergency C-section.  At this point I can't even tell you the emotions that were going through Charles and I.  I think the best way to describe it all is complete shock.  I was only 34 weeks 5 days,  he wasn't ready.  As they prepped me for surgery, I don't think I have ever been so scared.  At 3:45 am I heard one of the best sounds a new mother can ever hear; the sound of our son crying.


Carson Thomas Koch was born on August 1, 2011 at 3:45am.  He weighed 5lbs 1oz and was 18 inches long.


The First Week:


Monday was the longest day of my life.  Keep in mind we haven't slept at all from the night before.  Carson was immediately placed in the NICU.  He was on oxygen and was given a feeding tube.  We are blessed that the hospitals are able to do so much for these little angels.
Tuesday he was put on a C-Pap to help his breathing.  It was really hard to see him like this.  We felt like it was a set back for him.


Wednesday the C-Pap was taken off after 24 hours and we was able to breath on his own without any oxygen. 


Thursday I was scheduled to go home, but my blood pressure decided to spike and they kept me in another day.  I was glad to be in the hospital when this happened.


Friday I was finally able to go home.  Glad to be home and to be with Kaylee, sad to leave without Carson.


Since the first week we have been making trips back and forth to the hospital trying to juggle everything.  It is amazing what good care the NICU is able to give our sweet Carson.  He is currently off of everything, but a feeding tube.  The goal now is to get him to be able to drink/ nurse 6-8 times a day.  He also has to finish his feedings in 30mins.  He has been doing really well the last few days and we continue to pray for strength for our little man. 


I will post some pictures as soon as I learn how ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment